Innovative technologies for powder production and powder processing as well as blown film extrusion: These are the core strengths of Hosokawa Alpine AG, one of the world’s leading machine and plant manufacturers. The company is headquartered in Augsburg, Bavaria, with a branch in Leingarten, Baden-Württemberg. Together with several subsidiaries in Germany and abroad, Hosokawa Alpine AG forms the Hosokawa Alpine Group.
In the Mechanical Processing and Film Extrusion business units, Hosokawa Alpine develops, manufactures and installs machines for customers all over the world. The company generates 50% of its turnover outside Europe, with exports accounting for 80% of turnover overall. Since 1987, the company has been a wholly owned subsidiary of the Japanese Hosokawa Micron Corporation.
Hosokawa Alpine makes long-term investments in its locations. Since 2008, around 30 million euros have been invested in new production and assembly buildings at the company headquarters in Augsburg. To manage the continuous growth in demand, the company intends in the coming years to expand its logistics infrastructure. To this end, around 20 million euros will be channelled into modernisation of the company headquarters as well as construction of a new logistics centre on the premises of Augsburg‘s freight handling hub. From 2019 onwards, the company will be able to make use of 22,000 m2 warehousing and handling areas. With the new logistics centre, Hosokawa Alpine places a stronger focus on environmentally friendly transport by rail.
The History of Hosokawa Alpine begins with Otto Holzhäuer in the year 1898. Right from the beginning, the company was strong in the field of mechanical and process engineering. In 1903, a patent was granted for a universal size reduction machine which went by the tradename „Triumph“. In 1909, the company changed its name to „Alpine Maschinenfabrik-Gesellschaft m. b. H.“. The name Alpine is derived from the Alps, and reflects the aspirations of the company to excellence and peak performance. The film extrusion division was developed in the mid-1950s. In 1987, the company was taken over fully by the Hosokawa Micron Corporation with headquarters in Osaka, Japan, and the company name changed to Hosokawa Alpine Aktiengesellschaft. Since then, the company has developed very successfully.