Spices and herbs are natural products, the mechanical processing of which merely alters the shape while ensuring that any negative impact is kept as low as possible. The successful processing of spices and herbs places complex requirements on the processing chain. The challenges vary from the diversity of the spices, medicinal herbs, dried vegetables or roots to be processed and their properties such as oil content and fibrousness right up to quality fluctuations due to their natural origin. Profound knowledge of the production process in combination with individually tailored process technology form the basis for an optimum end product.
Grinding spices is one of the most difficult tasks of size reduction technology.
Every process is individual and depends on both the customer requirements and the diversity of product properties.
These can include typical characteristics and regional differences such as hardness, size, colour, oil content, shear resistance and viscosity. Within the process, this means that wear, temperature changes, fire and explosion risks must be considered. In this connection, the essential oil content plays an important role. It dictates the later market value as well as the aroma intensity in the final application. Because of this, spices require very "gentle" processing, for example by means of cryogenic grinding with nitrogen or conditioned air.
Our Competence in your process
Selection of the most suitable machine for processing spices without having to make compromises is made possible by a wide range of machines. Hosokawa Alpine offers customer-specific solutions for every spice comminution process.
- Machines for cleaning, crushing and cutting
- Explosion-protected systems for fine grinding, cryogenic grinding, mixing and compacting
- Processing of spices such as chilli, coriander, pepper, caraway, nutmeg, saffron & co., e.g. for sauces, soups, spice mixes or for direct human consumption
Just as with spices, it is important when processing medicinal herbs and teas above all that their constituents remain unchanged to ensure optimum aroma development in the later application.
The different types of teas and tea blends make different demands on the processing technology. These include the typical characteristics and regional differences such as hardness, size, colour, oil content, shear resistance and viscosity. Besides this, the machines and systems must be tailored to suit the production parameters such as air humidity and temperature in the places of origin and processing regions.
Our competence in your process
- Manufacture of rough-cut tea for tea influsions
- Manufacture of closely fractionated, low-dust fine-cut tea for tea bags
- Manufacture of preliminary products for downstream processes such as extraction processes
- Cleaning and separation of the leaves/stems from the seeds, e.g. hips of rose hips
- Fine grinding of naturally occurring root, leaf and bark drugs for use as active ingredients in tablets and special ointments
- Manufacture of product granules from the residual dust
- Ultrafine grinding of teas such as green tea, fruit tea and herbal tea, for example teas infused with ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, valerian, lemon grass, liquorice, orange, mint, ginseng, hibiscus, etc.